Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Birthday Benediction

Just before sunset yesterday
I saw a blue heron
rise up from under the bridge
where I stood,
and lift itself silently over the water, 
floating away over the swollen creek 
into the tops of the trees.
And the warm, moist air,
full of the smell of the river,
and the rich scent of thawing earth
blew softly through my hair,
and the gently dying sun
reached out across the yellow fields
from its throbbing crimson bed 
and touched my face,
and the river and the trees and the heron
quiet, reverent,
all watched in approving silence.
Your own soul is a kingdom, 
the river said to me,
a vast continent, 
a wonderland,
and it offers itself to you
when you come to it 
in peace.




1 comment:

  1. I loved how this started so concrete and almost descriptive and then it was suddenly alive and I could feel the wind amidst my hair.

    ReplyDelete