Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Leviathan

I have inside of me right now,
lurking under my skin,
something fierce and furtive
and wild and wicked,
something ferocious--
full of life and love of life,
but afraid.
I feel it crouching there,
somewhere around my heart,
peering out through my eyes,
ready to uncoil
and spring,
to shoot out,
ready to stretch its
long, powerful legs
and leap.

I call to it,
"Come out and play!"
but I have hounded it into corners
and stabbed it so many times,
saying, "this is for your own good,"
that it no longer trusts me.

Oh my poor wounded animal soul, 
I cry,
you do not have to hide from me anymore.
I mean you no harm now.

I leave food and water out for you
in stainless steel bowls,
and you eye it suspiciously
from the shadows.

From November 1, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment